[Healeys] Spam E-mail

Len and/or Marge Hartnett thehartnetts at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 5 18:40:55 MDT 2011

THIS ONE IS FROM ME!  The spam e-mail that you have been receiving was NOT
sent by me.  The last e-mail that I sent to The List had a link to the Fraz
comic strip.  From what I understand, this is not the link that is in any of
the spam e-mail that you have been receiving.

The first person to contact me about this situation was a Lister on 10/3 .
I responded to him through The Healey Mail List asking, "what message"?  I
further stated that I had received over 50 'failure to deliver' messages
that morning. Many of them to recipients that are not on the Healey Mail
List. Someone get into my address book? If they were valid address, why did
they fail to deliver?  Did their security programs block them?

What I noted was that although the names were familiar, the servers were not
the same as currently in my address book.  Of 19 addresses checked, only
three were as shown in my Address Book.  Nineteen were familiar names but
the servers were different.  Five were addresses/names that I did not know.

I asked if anyone else on The List had gotten a bad e-mail from me.  No one
responded.  That has changed over the last couple of days.  I ran all my
security scans again to see if anything showed up.  Avast - nothing.
AdAware - only cookies.  However, SuperAntiSpyware noted two critical
threats.  They say they removed them.  I could not tell what they were
because full addresses were not provided.  What was shown for both was,
"c:\USERS\LEONARD-PC\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Wi...\webfile".  I consider
myself somewhat computer challenged (duh!) and those did not give me any
clues as to what the threat was.

My computer has not been turned on yesterday and most of today.  When I
turned it on about 4:30 PM, I had 184 e-mails, 46 of which were "Mail
Delivery System" noting failed deliveries or returned messages.  There were
several other "From" addresses stating virtually the same thing.

Since I do not have the technical knowledge to resolve this problem, any
assistance that anyone can give in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA, USA
1967 AH 3000 MkIII, HBJ8L39031