[Healeys] Master cylinder bolts

Mike Sinclair phoenix722 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 4 13:21:52 MDT 2011

First of all, thanks for the huge response to my question.  Varied answers,
but my worry was that they were some kind of odd thread that I would have
trouble finding.  Turns out they are 5/16 UNF, as most of you described, but
the length was quite short.  They screw into threaded holes in a box beam.
The forward hole then is open to the inside of the box, but the aft hole only
goes in about 3/8" (bllind).  Maybe there is a broken bolt in there.  I ended
up using 2-1/4" long bolts, which is shorter than I would like, but they
aren't holding a lot weight; biggest load is probably vibration.

Anyway, it is installed.  Of course, after I bolted it on, I had to take the
bolts out, to allow some freedom of movement to get the hydraulic lines
attached.  Those threads have to be just right.  So next step is to connect
the rod from the brake pedal, and of course, I couldn't find the clevis pin,
so had to buy one at the hardward store.

But I am making progress--now need to refill and bleed, which is always a fun
job.  Thanks for your help.

Mike