[Healeys] lost parts

Simon Lachlan simon.lachlan at homecall.co.uk
Tue Oct 4 08:26:29 MDT 2011

Actually I imagine that the fear was of being overrun by the German army.
Before the stagnation of the trenches, all three major participants expected
a mobile war. ie the French and the Germans deployed and used cavalry in
early '14, particularly the latter. (Cavalry is more use to the army which
is advancing and chasing).
I suspect that the Germans expected to force the French to surrender after a
series of defeats, as in the Franco-Prussian War. (They had to knock the
Western Powers out pbq in order to deal with the Russian Hordes). I further
suspect that the British thought that they might not get enough troops over
the Channel in time to prevent this collapse and I also suspect that a lot
of the French High Command and politicians thought the same.
In fact, the French did stop them, more or less on their own as the first
small (Regular) British army was initially all but destroyed, even though it
stopped the Germans also, but on a much smaller sector of the front.

Do forgive the lecture and you're right if you suspect that I may know more
about WW1 than about Healeys, though I'm happy to learn more about both.
All flames to me personally please!
Simon