[Healeys] Petronix Ignitor

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Tue Oct 4 06:38:50 MDT 2011

Ah ... fewer cylinders==longer dwell==hotter module?  Offhand, I don't know the dwell angle for a 4-cyl--anyone
know?--think it's about 35deg for a 6-cyl.

The Pertronix coil comes in 1.5 and 3.0 ohm versions; I think a stock Healey coil is about 1.5 ohms (not sure).   You're
right, their website should make it clear which impedance coil should be used with which engines--with a Pertronix--if
it's significant.   From the website: '... it's the perfect coil to go with the PerTronix Ignitor breakerless ignition
...' and '... coil can benefit virtually any distributor type inductive system ...'  I see the Pertronix II has
'adjustable dwell' and senses coil impedance;  too bad it doesn't come in a pos-ground version.

  I'm still not convinced there's a problem; unless the dwell for a 4-cyl is significantly longer than a 6-cyl.  If
their 1.5ohm coil won't work well with a Pertronix without ballast they should make that clear.  My BJ8 doesn't have any
ignition problems with heat, but I've only run it to 115degF in Death Valley (they're supposedly good to 300deg).

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net