[Healeys] sticky steering wheel

" Just Brits " Shop shop at justbrits.com
Mon Nov 28 09:36:52 MST 2011

As this "problem" is SOP om MGBs and Spridgets [and I have done a LOT
of them<G>],
I thought a few 'experienced' hints would be inorder.

<< ....few days of soaking with penetrant and then lots of tapping on
the back with a
dead bow hammer. >>

On of the more important 'steps' ! !  I strongly suggest that you
"foam" your favourite
penetrate on the shaft.  By "foaming" I mean that with the little
[usually] red straw, one
uses a VERY lite touch on the button and the stuff will almost dribble
out.  BUT, the
liquid will just SLOWLY spread and flow down the shaft threads.  Now,
here is a "Step
2";  using a LARGE socket, knock the wheel ON --- re-foam & let sit.

A MAJOR WARNING here:
         PUT THE NUT BACK ON !!  only needs to be 1.5 to 2.0 full
turns ON.
The above mentioned groups WILL tell you that the wheel can [and
frequently does]
  come loose/off all of a sudden and depending on YOUR force applied
--- at a high
rate of speed [& headed right at you chin & chest <G>].

Back to removal.  Sitting in the seat with your knees firmly placed
behind the wheel,
Apply [I prefer] large rubber mallet to wheel 'arms' while also
applying 'off pressure'
to top of wheel.  Four (4) to six (6) whacks will do for THIS 'try'.
Re-foam and go
have a brew<G> !!  After it, using said socket, GENTLY smack wheel
back ON and
re-foam.  An other brew !  Then back to seat and give "removal" effort
again.

<< ...moved a millimeter or so each try. >>

Yep.  See previous paragraph.  Just keep up the "off" & re-foam; "on"
& re-foam;
"off" & re-foam; "on" & re-foam; and it WILL come off.

<< ...took a while but i bested the recalcitrant bugger. >>

Yep.  Just one of the "endearing" PITA things our LBCs "offer up" to
us ! !

Ed
Please visit MY site at:
www.justbrits.com

PS:  A search of MGs & Spridgets List Archives will offer up the "nut"
usage tales<G> !