[Healeys] Driving lights

Tom Felts tomfelts at windstream.net
Wed Nov 23 06:32:25 MST 2011

I think owners of old Brit cars used the term "driving lights" to indicate the extra lights mounted up front long before the "modern" car "driving light" term came about.

So---to me, with reference to old Brit cars, the separate large lights on them were "driving lights".

tom

---- Oudesluys <coudesluijs at chello.nl> wrote:

=============
I think there is some confusion about various types of lights.
It depends how you define the various terms.
In my view (but others may differ):

-Town lights (USA) are the small front lights, often combined with
indicator lights, or incorporated in the headlights. Usually 5W. They
are switched on together with the rear lights.
-Side lights (USA) are the lights front and rear on the front and rear
wings on the side of a car. They are switched on together with the lights.
-Side lights (EU/UK) are the lights referred to as town lights in the
USA, see above.
-Driving lights are separate front lights that are used during driving
at all time, day and night, like e.g. in Sweden. They are switched on as
soon as you switch on the ignition. Modern cars have them now as LED
lights. They are more intense than town or side lights and are used on
their own (no rear lights) if the other lights are not in use. Sometimes
they are switched of automaticly when the head lights are on.
-Spot lights are long range high intensity lights (blinding) and should
only be used in combination with high beam, as is laid down in law in
many states/countries. Often referred to as driving lights in the USA.
-Fog lights are short broad range high intensity lights (non blinding)
and should only be used with dimmed headlights or town lights. Only for
use in dense fog. Often illegal when visibility is more than 200
meters/yards.

Spot and Fog lights should be wired in using relays.

Kees Oudesluijs
NL

Healeys at autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html