[Healeys] Cam shoe rod sticking

David Porter frogeye at porterscustom.com
Mon Nov 21 20:42:44 MST 2011

I'm the first to admit that I have NEVER in my life seen this leather bit on
the fast run cam. I'll also admit that HD8 SU's don't have a fast run cam.
The choke cable acts directly on the jet/diaphragm mixture thingy. Most of
the Healeys do have leather bushes on the throttle linkage however. So I'm
not sure what you saw.
 When pulling the choke cable one should also depress the throttle pedal so
there is no frictional resistance from the cam, if fitted (mostly other
marques). Also every 20 years or less (grin) one should lubricate the cable
for Pete's sake if nothing else. If the dash is coming out with the cable
then it's probably past time to lube the cable or fix what ever is binding.
 Note: early cars did have the fast run cam on H4 types and the HS6's had a
weird non adjustable lift bracket of sorts that was not adjustable except
for the amount the linkage could pull the jet down.
 Pretty sure we aren't on the same page.
Don't be put off... I called my physicians office at 9am today and was told
he'd call back by lunch. I called back at one and was told he had the
message on his desk... no call back. I'm pissed that they take our money or
the insurance co's but, can't answer a single question when the cell phone
is in their smock's pocket... vent, rant curse...  OK I'm better now..
dave

frogeye at porterscustom.com

Porter Customs   2909 Arno NE
Albuquerque, NM USA 87107