[Healeys] New Fasteners or Refurbished

mark lapierre lapierrem at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 20 17:33:59 MST 2011

I just watched a video about refurbishing old nuts, bolts and even washers to
reuse on restorations and general maintenance on our cars.    The fasteners
were tumbled clean and then zinc plated.

At what point and in what areas is it not a good idea to reuse these
fasteners.  I have mixed
emotions on which way I would want my total restoration handled.  If I was
paying the big bucks
then I would expect  to have new hardward used.

 Seems like there would be a failure issue or a stretching of the threads
coming into play here after 40 some years.

Is the old style British hardware with the circles on the heads still
available new anymore or is it necessary to use old hardware to get the
original look?

I guess my point here is that I am very surprised that old hardware is used on
high dollar
restorations.   Curious how other restorers handle this issue.

Mark