[Healeys] Gunson Colortune

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Thu Nov 17 10:50:34 MST 2011

I got a small ($250) bonus one time, but it came in the form of a gift card (hate those--gimme cash!). Anyway, trying to spend most of the card on one item I ended up buying a Gunson exhaust gas analyzer. Although the readings (mostly) made sense, I didn't think the effort accomplished much more than you could get with Colortunes (plus, the EGA used plastic tubing that started to melt).

I think, overall, you can get pretty good results just setting the mixture for best/fastest idle, then enrichening an eighth to a quarter turn to be on the safe/power side of the curve. Most fixed venturi--i.e. 'American-style'--carbs are set this way, but set 50RPM on the lean side of best idle for smog reasons. If you're tweaking for max performance at certain RPMs you're pretty much gonna need a dyno, IMO.

Bob

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA