[Healeys] lowering blocks

Michael Salter msalter at precisionsportscar.com
Mon Nov 14 10:02:53 MST 2011

Hi Ralph I presume that you are aware that a post 65 BJ8 does sit 1" higher
than the earlier cars; as I recall the distance from the top of the wheel
arch should be 28 1/2" (someone correct me if that is wrong) both front and
rear.
However that said, if you are going to use lowering blocks to bring the car
down to the correct height you will also have to find some longer U bolts
of the correct arch and material diameter which can be difficult.
I have found that the best thing to use for such blocks is billet aluminum
which you can purchase at most metal supply houses. U can use several
layers of 1/4" material to provide adjustment as required. The supply house
may be able to cut them to size for you but you will probably have to drill
the holes yourself using the spring alignment plate as a guide. Don't
forget to drill a hole for the axle locating pin and keep the holes for the
U bolts accurate to size to prevent the axle from shifting back and forth.
I do recall taking the rear of an ex race car apart many years ago and
finding lowering blocks made of hardwood which looked as though they had
been there for years!!
Michael S