[Healeys] Rear Hub Bearing

Pieter and Linda pieters at pt.lu
Sun Nov 13 01:56:29 MST 2011

Good call Richard.
 Closer inspection shows that the bearing spacer sits flush with the face of
the hub. Allowing for the thickness of the gasket means it is now a loose fit.
The spacer and face of the outer bearing race both show signs of fretting due
to movement.  Machining the hub could be a bit hard here for me so I will try
a new bearing with a shim between hub and bearing and some bearing seating
compound,
Thanks again,
Pieter
On 13/11/2011, at 3:34 AM, richard mayor wrote:

> I doubt that it is a worn bearing. These bearings never seem to wear out.
What usually happens (for whatever reason) is that hub gets loose and the
inside spacer ring (it may be called a "distance piece")  no longer pinches
the bearing properly so that the outer race of the bearing then begins to spin
in the hub. This allows the outer bearing race to grind itself deeper into the
hub. The spacer ring is now useless and the hub can rock. If the bearing has
not gone too deep, you can drive out the studs and machine the face of the
hub. The ring is supposed to stand proud of the hub, with the gasket in place,
about .002" or .003". Check the manual on this for the exact amount. If the
bearing is too deep into the hub then you must replace the hub. You may also
have to use a bearing retaining compound to install the bearing into the hub
as it may no longer be a snug fit.