[Healeys] Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Sun May 29 12:43:22 MDT 2011

In a message dated 5/29/11 10:32:40 AM, healeys-request at autox.team.net
writes:

> And since you are on these lists you are into cars so why
> not come out to either the PVGP/VRG Historic races at BeaveRun or the
> Vintage Grand Prix at Schenley Park or better yet both.

If you live within driving distance of Pittsburgh, the Pittsburgh Vintage
Grand Prix is an absolute Must! not only is it the last surviving true road
race (i.e. in the center of a city, but run without armco dividing the cars
from the spectators, and with real curbs, stone walls, trees, bridge
abutments, and lamp posts well within the reach of the race cars on the course (ask
me how I know)). Furthermore, it is FREE, and in the environs of beautiful
Schenley Park, making it a perfect place to watch a real sport car race from
a picnic blanket on a grassy slope within yards of the course. The races are
on Sunday afternoon, with practice sessions on Saturday and Sunday morning
(the organizers give the drivers three practice sessions to get used to the
very complex and challenging course. If you watched Monaco today, you have
an idea of what the circuit is like. The only differences are trees, grass,
and Panther Hollow instead of hotels, concrete, and a harbor.

Cheers
Gary