[Healeys] Valvoline VR1

fogbro1 at comcast.net fogbro1 at comcast.net
Wed May 25 08:49:47 MDT 2011

List,

Received the following from a guy who's street car is "a fuel cell short of a
race car".

Valvoline VR1 used to be racing oil used almost religiously be a lot of
racers.
A while back we started to find it on auto parts stores' shelves with and at
the same price as regular oil.B  Turns out that Valvoline was just taking
advantage of the famous name.B  This oil is API Service SM intended for modern
cars with catalyctic converters and with a reduced lever of ZDDP.B  Although
the bottle says it has ZDDP added.B  I'm not sure how it can be SM, a service
standard that calls for less ZDDP, add ZDDP and still be SM.
Valvoline still makes VR1 racing oil. It now clearly says racing oil on the
bottle and is expensive.B  Like Penn Grade 1 racing oil it does not have an
API rating and is officially intended for off road use.

Ed Woods