[Healeys] Oil Changing Questions

John Harper ah at jharper.demon.co.uk
Mon May 23 01:42:25 MDT 2011

This may be of interest because it happened to me recently. I have high
hydraulically lifting ramps and lifted the front of the 100 very high to
work under the front.

When I looked underneath I could see  oil dripping from the cotter pin
so assumed that engine oil was flowing from the sump, through the
Archimedes screw and down the rear of the backplate. I quickly lowered
the car a little and the dripping stopped after a while. Just as well
that the cotter pin was a loose fit as intended.

This is not the end of the story. When I came to look inside the car I
saw that steering gear oil had run back up the column and down the
steering wheel. Fortunately I had a seat cover temporarily fitted.

So be warned you cannot raise the front of a 100 beyond a certain point.

Regards

--
John Harper