[Healeys] BJ8 Cooling System

Schneider Mark mandmschneider at comcast.net
Sun May 22 13:57:38 MDT 2011

A couple of weeks ago I lost a blade off of the radiator fan.   Boy, was that
exciting!  I decided to use the opportunity to thoroughly inspect and test all
components of the cooling system.  Anything I found with a problem I replaced.
Obviously, the fan is first on the list.   As I read an information tech sheet
associated with the one source of the Texas Cooler I came across something
about which I would appreciate some lister input.  The article points out that
the big Healey cooling system design has a bypass that circulates coolant
through the engine until the thermost  at opens.  If one is using an after
market, non-sleeved, regular type of thermostat which remains closed until
reaching temperature, there is no flow through the radiator core.  Do I have
this right?  The article suggest drilling a couple of small holes in the rim
of the thermostat to allow a small amount of flow until the thermostat fully
opens.  In all the years I have owned a Healey I had never heard of this
before.  What is the experience of the list members???

Marks 3