[Healeys] bj8 trans

Greg Lemon glemon at neb.rr.com
Sun May 15 11:17:22 MDT 2011

Alan, I agree with the method, but I am not sure about the theory, when
going into unsynchronized 1st or reverse don't you want to make sure that
the car is stopped and the transmission has stopped spinning, I thought a
spinning tranny gave you a crunch, which is why it crunches if your clutch
does not fully disengage (because the tranny is still spinning).  But I have
never looked inside a tranny when this is all going on,  just lots of
experience with non-synchro first gears in Sprites and Bs and such.

Getting back to the problem would help to know, difficulty getting into
first, does it crunch or not want to go in at all when you push the lever?,
if a crunch then likely most likely clutch/hydraulic problems, if it won't
go in at all or is difficult more likely something in the gearbox or
linkage.

Greg Lemon