[Healeys] bj8 trans

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun May 15 07:56:19 MDT 2011

What do you mean by 'difficult?'   Healey transmissions have no synchros in first--except BN1s, maybe?--so it's always
trickier to select first gear.

To mitigate this problem, you can:

1) never/rarely use first gear (except when you're pulling stumps with your BJ8)
2) if you're not going to be stopped for long--don't want to wear out the throwout 'bearing'--shift into first when
you're just barely moving (forward)
3) if you need/want first, push the clutch pedal in all the way then just start to shift into second gear, then shift
into first (sometimes called 'kissing' second)

I'm guessing from your post you had something different than a BJ8 transmission in before?

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net