[Healeys] Engine Stand or Cradle

Chris Dimmock austin.healey at gmail.com
Fri May 13 08:42:46 MDT 2011

Hi Ed,
My BJ8 engine was built on a 3 wheel engine stand.
It was all together, and I went to paint it. Having rotated it, to
make sure i'd painted everything properly, the engine overbalanced.
Fortunately for my engine, I managed to put myself between the wet
painted engine and the concrete floor of my workshop, and sought of
caught it..
My arms/ shoulders/back were pretty sore for a week or so, but I think
that was mostly due to my determination to put the engine & stand back
up on the wheels, on my own, and touch up the paint, before Peter
Molloy arrived the next morning.
Nearly killed me. Fortunately, I was much fitter and stronger back
then, and spent around 8 hours a week in the gym.......
If I dropped an engine on me now, I'd probably still be trapped under
it!!! ;-)
Anyway, I confessed my sins to Uncle Pete, Pete retorqued the head,
and we have all been good for the past 13 years. Both me, Uncle Pete,
the engine stand, and the engine....
I'd go a 4 wheeler next time.....
Chris
www.myaustinhealey.com