[Healeys] TV Car/Bike Shows; was: Re: Chasing Classic Cars

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sat Mar 26 09:09:47 MST 2011

Agree on all.  I remember what I think was the original car/bike show, the one with the (now reviled) Jesse James.  I'm
not into bikes, but I loved watching real craftsmen--metalworkers, painters, etc.--ply their trades, and became
fascinated with welding thanks to "I gotta weld some every day to feel right" JJ.  Then, American Chopper came along and
it was interesting for a few years for the same reason, but now it's a soap opera.  I still watch occasionally, trying
to pick up welding and metalworking tips that are usually only shown inadvertently.

I think I've watched this particular show; I lose track sometimes.  My overall impression is that the businesses are
legit, but after the cameras are around too long and the 'stars' become minor celebrities the shows degenerate.  There's
one that's fairly new about a family that owns a huge junkyard in Nevada and now they're 'restoring' junkers and trying
to auction them without a whole lot of success.  The restos seem to be only cosmetic--e.g. painting over surface
rust--and there's little-to-no attempt at originality.   I keep hoping to spot a Healey in the junkpile.

Still the best are the regular production shows; 'Powerblock' on Spike is pretty good.  Ian on Extreme 4X4 really knows
his stuff, Kevin Tetz (sp?) is a bodywork guru, the guys on Muscle Car are pretty good and it's not particularly
difficult to watch Courtney Hansen strut around.

Here's an idea for a reality show: a dedicated auto mechanic/restorer devotes his life to maintaining and restoring
classic British Austin-Healeys, and helping out fellow enthusiasts whenever possible.

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net