[Healeys] CR

Austin Healey pajtamuvek at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 13:39:08 MST 2011

Hi,

I have just collected my engine from my machinist (rebore, crankshaft
reground, new cam bearings etc). For my greatest solace, he folloved all my
instructions, soo all the clearances are accurate (=>
hipp-hipp-hurrey!!!!!).

Now I have made some measurements with the new pistons.

I had to experience that the new reproduction pistons are quite a bit lower
than the originals! If You can remember, my engine is a "26H", soo may be
some kind of "special" engine. The original pistons came about 0.3mms *above
*the dech height. The new pistons are 1.75mms below the deck.
I am using a 12 port head (non-original to this engine, original lost). I
have counted a rough 7.6:1 CR now with my new pistons. This is *very* low.
Whats Your opinion: shall I get the block skimmed by 2mms, and get the
pistons to the "original" height, skim the head, or skim both to get a
higher CR? What numbers to go for? 9.5:1? Or higher?

Gergo