[Healeys] Rear Hub Bearing Challange

PG britishcars at shaw.ca
Sun Mar 13 13:41:44 MST 2011

I had a leaking seal on the rear hub.  While replacing it, I decided to
replace the bearing also.

I purchased the bearing from Moss (powertune brand)..made in Taiwan.

To set the bearing into the hub took an extraordinary amount of pressure and
the bearing lost some of It's "freewheeling".

I'm in the process of putting the hub (with bearing) back on the rear axle
case..I've been using a drift on the inner race (as per factory manual).

I've been pounding for 10 minutes and making little if no progress past the
threads...  without going to a sledge hammer, I can't see getting this thing
on.  Furthermore, the race is getting "less free" as the pressure
builds..it's certainly not freewheeling.

Question:

1.       Anybody else have this problem?

2.       I understand that the bearing has to be tight, but this seems
extraordinary.

3.       Anybody else have problems with tolerances with these bearings?

4.       Suggestions?

Thanks

Paul