[Healeys] Rotor Bolts

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Mar 13 11:32:09 MST 2011

My P2 BJ8 has bolts holding the front hubs to the brake rotors.  I'd like to check torque on the nuts occasionally
(yearly), but the bolts turn.  It occurred to me that I could tack MIG weld the heads to the rotors on the backside.  I
mentioned this on the Forum and a racer said he tried it on the rear studs and the studs failed almost immediately and
he lost a wheel.  He attributed the failure to the heat from welding.

Anyone tried this on front bolts?  Recommendations for/against using Grade 8 (or Grade 5) bolts?  I wouldn't want to gas
weld the bolt heads, but it seems to me MIG tacks would keep the heat more localized and not cause embrittlement but,
obviously, there are potentially serious possible consequences.

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net