[Healeys] Bakelite repair - how I did it

john spaur jmsdarch at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 3 23:05:32 MST 2011

Thank you for all of the excellent suggestions. Here's what I did:

Hobby shops have liquid epoxy with the consistency of motor oil with
various curing times. I wanted to backup the hole and reinforce the
cracks with fiberglass.  Liquid epoxy was needed to thoroughly wet
the glass fiber; paste glues cannot properly do that. The fabric and
resin was applied as a backing inside the case and I used JB Weld to
fill in the hole. Sanded it down and then applied India ink. I did
not refinish the rest of the casing because it cleaned up well and
has a nice original patina.

Cheers,
John