[Healeys] Tube Tire :Mounting

Richard Ewald richard.ewald at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 20:34:21 MST 2011

Before starting inflate the tube partially.  You want just enough air to
unfold it.
Make sure the ends of the spokes have tape over them
install the first bead of the tire onto the rim
push the tube in place trying to keep it as straight as possible.
install the valve though the hole.
Remove the valve stem.  Attach a valve stem tool so the tube doesn't fall
inside the tire
install the second bead making sure you don't catch and tear the tube.
The next part is vital to getting a good result on the first try.
with the valve stem removed, inflate the tire to say 15 lbs and allow it to
drain completely.  This allows the tube to get into the correct position and
prevent folds tears.
Install valve stem and inflate tire.
If the tire goes flat after the very first turn you take, you had a fold in
the tube.  Ask me how I know this.

If you want to put some talc in the tire to help the tube slide in the tire
it can't hurt, but I never have.

-Rick who worked in a gas station back in the day and has mounted LOTS of
tube type tires.