[Healeys] Dual Circuit Braking system

Robert Bender rbender1 at berkshire.rr.com
Wed Jun 29 17:38:34 MDT 2011

Ever since my friend lost a wheel cylinder under heavy braking in traffic
with his vintage Land Rover and had to do some tricky unplanned off road
driving to avoid playing

Bigfoot on the cars ahead, I've been pondering the idea of a dual circuit
braking system in my BN2.  I searched the archives and cannot find much of
anything for information

on this project.  I realize the Denis Welch and Cape International sell
units, but they are pretty dear.  I was wondering if anyone else had looked
into a good candidate

master cylinder from a local parts house like NAPA or AutoZone?  How does
one determine what size master cylinder bore to look for?  There must be
some calculation

between the Master cylinder and the wheel cylinder bore sizes.  I plan to
use the original drum brakes (at least for now), I want to keep the MC
location on the frame rail, and

I don't want to use a booster.  Has anyone given this any thought?

Oh, by the way, the wheel cylinder that failed on the Rover was nearly new.
It was not a Girling but rather one of the newer knock-offs.

TIA for any input.