[Healeys] Toyota Tranny Conversion:

Charlie Baldwin mgcharlie at comcast.net
Wed Jun 22 12:26:43 MDT 2011

Walt,
Most think that the W58 is best, though many are happy with other
aluminum cased W transmissions.
The W58 was used on the non-turbo Supras of the early '80s and also some
Celicas before they changed to front wheel drive.
There are detail differences between them, besides ratios.
Check these links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_W_transmission
http://www.timken.com/en-us/products/bearings/productlist/automotivekits/dtcomponents/lightduty/transmission/Documents/toyldt.htm
http://www.midwesttrans.com/diagrams_56-57.htm
http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/resources/SUPRA_MKIV/TRANSMISSION_SERVICING_MT.PDF
http://triumph.daveola.com/Album/Transmission-Conversion/W58-Transmission-Manual/
http://www.eaglegatellc.com/Toyota_W58_5_Speed_Trans.html
http://www.northbaymotorsports.com/gearboxes.htm

Pete Delaney, owner of the Smitty conversion can also supply good
information.

They show up regularly on Ebay.  Most are local pickup only.  I got mine
for $51, but most pay $200 and up.  Some Ebay sellers think their
transmissions are made of gold and want $1,995 or something crazy.
It would make sense to search locally in all of the junk yards.
Condition is a crap shoot, but they are robust transmissions and easily
go 200,000 miles.  I think that mine had 65 K on it.  I was very lucky.
Charlie