[Healeys] 100M Bonnets

Editorgary at aol.com Editorgary at aol.com
Sun Jun 19 15:44:10 MDT 2011

In a message dated 6/19/11 2:14:15 PM, greylinn at ozemail.com.au writes:

> OK Gary - but were ONLY vehicles destined for "M" treatment fitted with
> louvred bonnets at the factory? I would have thought other customers could
> specify this on standard cars.
>
> Cheers
>
> Peter

No, it's the other way around. Only vehicles fitted with louvred bonnets
are considered "100M" cars. What we don't know is whether ALL cars that
received louvred bonnets got the remainder of the modifications in the LeMans
package. What we're saying is that all we're sure, by definition, all 100Ms had
louvred bonnets, but we're not sure that all louvred bonnet cars had 100M
performance options. To my knowledge, no one has been able to come up with any
documentation that indicated how a dealer, and/or a buyer, specified that
they wanted to buy a 100M.
And if you wanted just the LeMans modifications without the louvred hood
and two-tone paint job, you could just go to your dealer and order the
package. It arrived from DMHCo in a box, and the dealer installed the parts on your
car. Simple as that. No records kept that tracked how many of these kits
were shipped (Geoff Healey estimated in one of his books that the number may
have been around 1,200 to 1,500) and there's no way of connecting a kit to a
specific car.
 That's why, though we know that there were 640 cars shipped from the
factory with louvred bonnets, we don't know how many cars in the world had LeMans
modifications installed.
Gary