[Healeys] Tires

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Sun Jun 19 13:14:41 MDT 2011

I am fortunate to live fairly near someone who can true and balance wire
wheels and tires properly and is very knowledgeable about Healeys as well;
so I use Hendrix Wire Wheel exclusively for tire and wheel services.  I
don't know the status of the other sizes, but I prefer the 165/80R15 tires
and Allen Hendrix tells me that that size is getting difficult to find.  As
soon as he finds a supplier for a quantity of tires, that supplier quits
making that size tire.
Michelin ZX and XZX tires became unavailable some time ago.  I have a set of
Kumho 165/80R15 tires that I bought from Hendrix in 2007, and after 22,000
miles they are still in good shape.  I have been very happy with them.  But
Kumho also has quit making that size.  I saw Allen last weekend and he told
me he is selling Nexen brand tires in the 165/80R15 size now because that is
all he can get.

I like the 165/80R15 tires because they fit the 4-1/2" Dayton chrome wheels,
in my view look just fine with the car, and don't present any problems with
rubbing the wheelwells in turns.  Michelin XZX tires in the 165/80R15 size
were on my BJ8 when I bought it, and I have just stuck with that size tire
because I like it.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry