[Healeys] Tires

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Jun 19 12:13:14 MDT 2011

What kind of car?  What size rims?  How many spokes?  Do you like the low(er) profile look?  Are you willing/able to
recalibrate your speedometer?

I think 185s wouldn't be good on anything less than 5" rims (and maybe 5.5").  I put 185/70-15s on stock, 60-spoke BJ8
wheels and promptly started busting spokes.  Went to 6" Daytons, which I now think are a bit too wide.  Most advice says
185/70s should be on at least 5" rims, but I think that might be too much tire for the rims (however, 185/15s would
probably work).

More tire/wheel will mean more traction, which will also put more stress on other suspension components, esp. the shock
mounts.  175s on 5" rims might be good middle ground (but I have no experience with that setup).

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net