[Healeys] FW: Contradict myself? Never!

I Erbs eyera3 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 23:15:38 MDT 2011

Always a gentleman and voice of reason.  Can we please go back to helpful
info and informed attack free comments.
I for one still need informed information to guide my decisions on how close
to original I want to anf can afford to go, while buildi.g the car the way I
want to.
Thanks again

Ira Erbs
IT Consultant
Portland, OR

sent from my Droid, please excuse typos and random self corrections because
my phone has It's own ideas about what word I meant to write

On Jun 18, 2011 9:41 PM, "Rich Chrysler" <richchrysler at quickclic.net> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've been sitting here watching a lot of Concours email traffic over the
> last number of days, sometimes having to hold back and bite my tongue a
few
> times about individuals different "take" on the whole subject.
>
> First off, I know Barry Robinson personally, I consider him a good friend,
> certainly a caring and informed craftsman and his efforts to build an
> accurate Golden Beige BJ8 back in the late '80's was truly remarkable and
> exemplary, especially given that era of restorations. His efforts and
indeed
> his car's judging took place prior to the founding of our National
Concours
> Registry. I was Chief Judge when it was scored at the Niagara falls
Conclave
> in 1989.There were no Guidelines, no set policies, no award levels and in
> the mists of time and memory, his fantastic BJ8 did not in fact achieve a
> "perfect" score. Nothing does, but it was a very high score, and
deservedly
> so.
>
> Moving on, the theme of the National Concours Registry is to gather and
> maintain the knowledge, the details and the facts as best we can and
record
> this data into a volume of Guidelines so those who choose can read and
> absorb this data, examine exemplary pictures and make an informed choice
as
> to how they want to build and detail their car. We always stress in the
> Guidelines that they are not nearly enough to base your entire accurate
> restoration upon, but they are a start. Beyond that, the restorer needs to
> seek out a lot more specific detail knowledge in order to score a high
Gold,
> if that's their desire.
>
> Further, our aim is to try our best to maintain a known and recognized
group
> of experienced judges who can hopefully examine and evaluate the cars we
are
> asked to judge. We have 1000 points to work with, which sounds like a lot,
> but to cover every aspect of an entire car, we simply don't have the point
> allotments to cover every aspect of every detail adequately. So we do our
> best to balance the point system. This fact plus the fact that we have the
> distinct disadvantage of the judges being human, will always cause minor
> point fluctuations in one team vs. another team judging the same car.
>
> That is the reason why we use point levels, and no judging official will
> ever reveal actual points awarded with anybody but the owner. The level of
> course can and will be revealed to all, and any set of judges will
evaluate
> a car to at least the same level.
>
> I have presided over a couple of judgings where the points actually did
> amount to 996.5 points. We quietly went back over the car feeling that
> surely no car could achieve such a perfect score, but we simply could not
> find any place we could justifiably change the score, so it remained.
>
> As for driving and maintaining a car built and detailed as closely as is
> possible to the original with today's availability of tires, paints,
> upholstery, and maintaining original but completely rebuilt generators,
> engines, gearboxes, starter motors, voltage regulators, new 48 spoke
painted
> wire wheels, original design exhaust systems, new but original spec wiring
> harnesses, faithful reproductions of original chassis, of course
compromise
> sneaks in. Each is a choice, but a choice that is hopefully a learned and
> informed choice. Given the knowledge, compromise can be kept to an almost
> imperceptible minimum, and that to me is the kicker. Over restore?
Improve?