[Healeys] brake pipe threaded ends

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sat Jun 18 15:48:28 MDT 2011

Tom,

First off, I think you're referring to the flare nut, right?  How do you know the threads are OK if you can't get the
flare nut out?

You do not want to destroy the flare nut if you can help it.  Use a good penetrating oil--soak it overnight--and it's
best to use a flare nut wrench which grips on 5 sides instead of just 2, but at least use the proper end wrench (7/16"
IIRC).  If that doesn't work you'll probably have to take vise grips to the nut, which will ruin it, and you'll have to
fab or buy a new pipe.  You might want to break the line at the hose end and do this on the bench.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the fitting is, I think it's American/SAE--i.e. not Whitworth--but they aren't common and your
local Napa probably won't have them (someone on the List will correct me if I'm wrong--I HOPE).   The pipe is
standard--3/16" I think--you can take it to a parts store and get a match.  The flare is, I believe, known as a 'double
flare.'  You'll need a flaring tool to make them, but they're available (usually under $20).

Moss doesn't carry the pipe alone, but they're in the kits.  This place might be able to help you:
http://www.fedhillusa.com/

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net