[Healeys] Healeys Digest, Vol 5, Issue 406

I Erbs eyera3 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 15:19:01 MDT 2011

Although I am restoring to a fine driver condition, I have considered each
faze if the project. I opted for a smitty 5 speed, and disc wheels and disc
brakes. I traded my wires 30+ years ago. On the otherhand I spent a lot of
time researching the correct way to paint Around my dark blue interior
tohide the ice blue showing up. As I said thoughtfull decisions. I uprated
to HD8 from HD6, as I knew my engine improvements would bebefit.
I reseRched the uce blue, oew paint scheme to match my bmht certificate....
I ha e waited 36 years tocomplete my car, my 19 and 16 year old sons want it
when I no longer can drive it.
I understand the hobby from nasty boy to 100 point shiw car.  Many of us are
not check boik mechanics and enjoy rebuilding what we can, and not just
replace it.  As zi say, there is room for all. Jerry and Donald, hzve both
told me they are amazed that the cars Re still on the road, znd that we all
enjoy owning our cars. From nasty boy to 100 pointer, I salute you all for
keeping them on the road, and for keeping how you enjoy the cars.
I thank all whi have helped me so far and in the future.  Hope to see many
of you at Rendazvous.

Ira Erbs
IT Consultant
Portland, OR

sent from my Droid, please excuse typos and random self corrections because
my phone has It's own ideas about what word I meant to write

On Jun 18, 2011 11:58 AM, "Barrie Robinson" <barrie at look.ca> wrote:
> Gary,
>
> You contradict yourself! If the scoring system evaluates
> originality then originality is important and desirable. So if one
> wants to be a top rated car then messing with originality is a no-no
> - and that is what I said. Some people will cling to originality
> (I have just spent 5 hours in restoring the battery cut off switch
> for my 1955 Aston because the perfect reproduction does not have the
> small raised Lucas logo - (too expensive to get it cut into the mould
> !?) Some would just put in the perfect reproduction, albeit without
> the raised logo. So I maintain I am a different type (not better)
> than than those who would just substitute. It is a mind thing and
> reflects in the cherishing of the original cars.
>
> Bearing in mind my 5 hour stint are you maintaining that I am the
> same type of car buff to the one that just puts in a repro. Would
> you mark my car with the original the same as the one with the repro?
>
> If you remember I am not critiquing concours judging - I am saying
> there are different types of owners. Those who passionately cling to
> originality and those who accept substitution and non-period enhancement.
>
> As to Jay Leno I applaud his collection and saving actions but I
> cringe when I see a 20's, 30's, etc cars with supreme paint jobs and
> prefect bodywork.
>

> At 03:13 PM 6/17/2011, Editorgary at aol.com wrote:
>>In a message dated 6/17/11 11:36:04 AM, healeys-request at autox.team.net
>>writes:
>>

>> > I stand my ground! You either like to keep things original or you
>> > don't - akin to being a little bit pregnant.
>> >

>>No, Barrie, I'm afraid that's NOT true. Every single piece on the car is a
>>choice. Yes, there are people who argue that nothing should be tampered
>>with, but no one on the concours committee falls into that category.
That's