[Healeys] Power

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Wed Jun 15 11:00:33 MDT 2011

I noticed on my most recent long road trip that my BJ8 seemed to be running out of HP and/or torque on long uphill grades. I seem to get to about 4K RPM then the engine won't rev any more (yes, I downshift as required--it just seems the engine should be able to rev a bit more to go with the low-end torque). The engine is mostly stock--except for aftermarket air and oil filters and Pertronix ignition--and has about 80K miles on a rebuild. Cylinders were bored 0.030" over from an earlier rebuild. The cam is the mildest of 5 grinds offered by Crower; slightly lopey at idle but generally smooth and responsive (about 252deg overlap at 0.050"). I have a Lempert 3.54 rearend installed, which of course has a significant impact. The exhaust is made of Ansa pipes with newer glasspacks stitched in--I believe it flows reasonably well.

Anyway, I'm starting to think about the next rebuild and wondering what might address this issue. I know headers, Webers, etc. would address breathing issues, but I want to keep stock intake and exhaust. What would help this engine's apparent emphysema; more radical cam, Al head, shorter exhaust system, lightened flywheel, higher CR, ...? I don't want to build a racer, just want to address the wheezing at higher RPMs. IOW, I'm willing to trade (a little) bottom end torque for a bit more top end.

Bob