[Healeys] high altitude driving

Jonas Payne JPayne at ThorCon.net
Thu Jun 2 19:33:12 MDT 2011

I used to regularly drive on the big island of HI and regularly made
trips over "Saddle Road" in my 1960 Morgan.

Essentially from Sea level to about 6700 feet and back again.

Frankly, I didn't  notice much of a difference.

We make a run up Mt. Charlston here in Las Vegas at least once a year,
its at 7700 feet (although the starting point is about 2300 feet) and I
don't notice much of a difference on that run either, although I feel a
little short of breath at that elevation.

I always thought that it was a advance/retard timing issue, not a fuel
delivery issue that had to be dealt with?

Jonas Payne
PBR
Cell:   (702) 358-5084

-----Original Message-----
From: healeys-bounces at autox.team.net
[mailto:healeys-bounces at autox.team.net] On Behalf Of Dave Porter
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2011 5:49 PM
To: 'Randy Hicks'
Cc: healeys at autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] high altitude driving

I run mine up to 10,600 ASL here on std needles. OTOH, 14,000 is another
animal. I'd probably lean it out a flat or two for the major passes, but
the SU's will somewhat compensate naturally due to less atmospheric
pressure at altitude.
 Better to take some altitude sickness pills for yourself.
Dave

frogeye at porterscustom.com

Porter Customs   2909 Arno NE
Albuquerque, NM USA 87107