[Healeys] BJ8 Oil consumption

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Mon Jul 25 15:16:58 MDT 2011

Niels, generally for a good break-in to seat the piston rings after a
rebuild, it's:  take it easy on the engine for the first 500 miles.  No fast
accelerations, moderate speeds, and no steady speeds for long periods of
time.  Do not use synthetic oil during the break-in, and change oil after
500 miles.  As for specifics, everyone has their own opinion about the exact
procedures.   Here's one from a piston ring manufacturer:
http://www.hastingsmfg.com/ServiceTips/breakin_procedure.htm
It's important to seat the rings well (i.e., allow them to wear against the
cylinder walls to match the surfaces) to avoid excessive oil consumption
later on.
If your oil consumption is because of non-seated rings after 1400 miles, as
far as I know the only way to remedy that is to remove the pistons and rings
and start over by re-honing the cylinders and installing new rings.

If valve guides are worn, smoking from the tailpipe generally happens on
acceleration, especially after a period of idling.  Constant smoking is more
likely to be the rings.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry