[Healeys] spark eroding experience

Rich Chrysler richchrysler at quickclic.net
Sat Jul 9 20:21:19 MDT 2011

I am very proud to be able to relate some family history to exactly this
technology.
During WW2, my great uncle Victor Harding (my grandmother's kid brother) had
a machine shop in Royal Oak Michigan and was working closely with Packard
Engines who were having a high incidence of broken taps in the Rolls Royce
Merlin engine blocks they were producing under license from RR. These were
the Packard Merlin 225 engines being used in so many of the famous planes of
WW2.
Anyway, Uncle Vic developed and perfected this technology so they could
remove hardened broken taps from these aircraft engine blocks. They were so
successful at this new technology, they were able to save these blocks from
being scrapped, and he was able to patent the design. He travelled for a
number of years after the war presenting lectures on the design and retired
to Sarasota Florida, having done "alright".

Rich Chrysler