[Healeys] Trafficator Help

George Haywood haywoodone at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 8 11:47:41 MDT 2011

Hi Bob,

Well first thing is to keep all the bits that have fallen out.  Then feed
excess wire that is on your cross members in front of the radiator down to the
steering box where the stator tube and wire exits so that when you pull the
trafficator out you wont damage anything (wires, etc.).  Next loosen the three
grub screws on the steering wheel hub periphery with a flat blade screwdriver.
If you want you can gently pry off the horn button with a pocket knife or
sharp thin blade but pay attention to the brass contact orientation and spring
that is beneath the horn button assembly.  Now, if you have an adjustable
steering wheel, you can gently pull the trafficator straight out without any
rotation (it will be a little more than a foot in length).  It may take a good
tug straight out if it hasn't been removed in a while.  DO NOT ROTATE THE
TRAFFICATOR WHEN DOING THIS!!!  Pull an inch or so then feed some wire in at
the steering box end then repeat until you have the whole assembly clear of
the steering wheel hub.  At this point you have to decide whether you can work
on it with the wires hooked up or will you have to pull the wire up through
the stator tube to work on a bench.  There is a write up somewhere that shows
how to remove the wires at the trafficator head but I just don't know where
they are.  John Sims has a lot of good info on his site to help with this
process

If you need to remove the wire then cut them about 5" away from the bullet
connector for easy r/r.  You can solder them beside each other on replacement
since the bullets will not go back down the tube very easily.  Attach a thin
wire or strong string to the wire when pulling it out so you can pull it back
down when finished.  For a non adjustable wheel I believe the whole stator
tube comes out with the trafficator so you have to remove the nut and olive at
the end of the steering box first and be prepared to catch steering fluid as
it drains out the hole.  Others will have suggestions also.

Good luck,
George Haywood
'65 bj8