[Healeys] someone was looking for a used rag top

Rich Chrysler richchrysler at quickclic.net
Sat Jan 29 06:56:04 MST 2011

Mark wrote <snip>

I'm still trying to figure out how that "curly cue" maneuver at the front
corners of the tops is done,
and for that matter ,  why did they do that?  It doesn't seem to serve any
purpose. Why didn't
they just run it straight and cut it off and secure it,  why turn the
corners in like that?  If any of you
don't know what I'm talking about then you don't have a 60 Bt7.

Mark,

I assume you refer to the cutting and curving around of the top material at
the front corners. This was done to bring the compound curved shape of the
front corner neatly around and finish them If the top material was simply
brought straight forward and wrapped down over the header bar, this would
result in an open curved bulge at the sides, and certainly wouldn't be water
proof. The top material cannot follow a compound curve in two different
directions so a V shaped slice is taken out of that front corner so the
bound and sewn outer edge can wrap around and finish neatly. The tacked on
"Hidem" strip will cover the exposed slice when it is fastened across the
header bar.

Rich