[Healeys] Compression ratio for a fast road 100

healeyguy at aol.com healeyguy at aol.com
Thu Jan 13 12:33:47 MST 2011

Interesting note on the Buick lifters. From information that I have recently
come across the Welsh crew extracted info on the use of these parts from a
long time 100 owner in Hawaii. While sourcing a new crank and rods from the
Welsh's "the owner" asked about valve train parts availability. The GM lifter
discussion occured and the US source for the lifters and push rod sizes was
given up. I understand that these parts will/may be availble from the Welsh's
in the future. They currently offer modified stock lifters in their parts
listing but haven't seen the bucket lifters yet.

As an aside, when that 100 owner, whom we will call Andy, traveled as a young
man 30 years ago to England to work the family farm, he left several amunition
boxes filled with miscellaneous parts with me.  As I was cleaning out the
garage loft last month Andy was assisting. We found the ammo boxes with an
interesting partial set of push rods and lifters inside. Yes they were the
straight 8 lifters. A long discussion followed on where the parts came from
and the merits of light weight cam followers and associated parts. Andy's
current 100 engine that was recently assembled uses those straight 8 GM bucket
lifters and custom super lightweight pushrods sourced in the US along with a
bullet proof bottom end from Welsh.

Regarding the Personally I run 10:1 pistons with a slightly relieved
combustion chamber on 92 pump gas in our 100. Probably in the 9.5:1 range. No
run-on or pinging. Certainly not as smooth as a stock 100 but the cam has some
impact on that aspect.
Aloha
Perry

Curt wrote:
Thomas,

..and one trick I know that I personally discussed with Denis Welch was using
old Buick Straight Eight
ifters and custom push-rods.
Curt
On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 7:23 AM, Thomas Willig <twillig at ruda.de> wrote:
> Hello,
 I guess there must be experienced folks on the list who are running
 engines with a 9,5:1 compression ratio. Please come forward and share
 your experiences and thoughts with me.
 Regards
 Thomas Willig