[Healeys] Compression ratio for a fast road 100

Thomas Willig twillig at ruda.de
Thu Jan 13 08:23:18 MST 2011

Hello,

I am in the process of rebuilding the engine of my 100. In order to get
some more punch from it, I am thinking about fitting DW forged pistons
with an 9,5:1 compression ratio.  You all know that if you talk to three
people (all of them not A-H 100 owners) you will get at least four
different opinions. Statements given were:

"You will get detonation at this compression rate"

"You will loose all smoothness of that engine"

" A motor with that CR is only drivable on the track"

"You will have to buy three head gaskets every year"

I am aware that most of this is probably nonsense, but... maybe..??

I guess there must be experienced folks on the list who are running
engines with a 9,5:1 compression ratio. Please come forward and share
your experiences and thoughts with me.

Regards

Thomas Willig