[Healeys] 3.54 differential questions

PG britishcars at shaw.ca
Fri Jan 7 16:08:16 MST 2011

I have a question regarding differentials selection.

I currently run a 3.90 differential on a highly modified 3.2ltr BJ8 with a
stock transmission. (late model BJ8).   I use the car mostly around town and
no so much Hiway.

I have in my garage a 4:11 as well as a 3:54 differential.  I was
considering installing the 4:11 combined with a Smitty conversion but am
holding off on that for now though I will likely do the smitty next year.

Question:   when installing the 3:54 do you loose much low end acceleration
around town?   I like bombing around and don't want to turn my car into a
cruiser.

What's everybody's experience?

My second question is about the smitty conversion..I have only heard good
things about it...what gears are people running with the Toyota
transmission?   How do you contact the person who took over from Smitty?

Thanks

paul