[Healeys] rear oil seal conversion

Jonas Payne JPayne at ThorCon.net
Wed Jan 5 08:56:25 MST 2011

Can't speak to Healeys, but TR's used an ungodly heavy flywheel (24-28
lbs) on their 1.9-2.1 L 4's.  It was specifically utilized to smooth out
the vibrations caused by the basic design of the engine and firing order
and 2) lack of balance in the internal components.  There was also some
parts bin sharing going on, as the flywheel was used in larger sedans as
well.

American cars using in line 6's of similar vintage used the same
premise.

Modern in line's have internal balance shafts and other trick items to
compensate and therefore use lighter flywheels.

With balanced internals, I used a 14 lb flywheel in my TR3 powered
morgan for several years with no issues, although vibration at idle was
noticeably rougher than unmodified TR's I have driven.   Ability to
"lug" the engine in 3rd or 4th was unaffected - possibly due to the low
weight of the car (500+ lbs lighter than a TR3) combined with high
torque of the engine.

Lightening a flywheel is pretty common practice to achieve better
throttle response, engine braking, weight savings and some claim better
acceleration.

Question for the Healey 6 is why a heavy flywheel AND a damper on the
pulley?

Jonas Payne
PBR
Cell:   (702) 358-5084