[Healeys] Bn2 gearbox working unexpectetly

Jose Vicente Vargas jvvmusme at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 11 07:09:21 MST 2011

> Some time ago my BN2 gearbox began to do some very strange things. sometimes
when I would put reverse the car would not move as if it was in neutral. Then
suddenly it would engage but with very little power and the car would barely
move in reverse and then suddenly it would start working correctly and this
has happened many times.

> On another ocasion I tried to start the engine by engaging second gear and I
could put first gear, second, third or fourth and the gearbox  would not
engage as if the car was in neutral and I was not able to start the car
without the starter... Suddenly after 400 meters downhill the gearbox started
to work normally.

> Today I left the car downhill in first gear and suddenly the car started to
move downhill as if t was in neutral. Fortunetly the damage was minimal, but
when I checked the car was engaged in first but acting as being in neutral.
Then suddenly the gearbox worked as normal.

> I am totally confused. I had never heard this story before. I do not know
what is going on....

> 1. Is it the gearbox
> 2. Is it the overdrive
> 3. The rear axle