[Healeys] six cylinder main bearing caps

Frank tonup at tellink.net
Tue Aug 30 06:50:10 MDT 2011

All set to reassemble my 100/6 engine.  The front and rear main bearing caps
are a very tight fit.  I assembled the crank/caps to check clearances and all
is well with a measurement with plastigauge exactly between 0.0015" and
0.002".  Exactly the same clearance on all journals at 75ft*lbs.

It seems like I should make the front and rear mains fit more easily and am
resisting the temptation to take some 600 grit paper on a piece of glass to
the sides.  I can put it together as is and get the clearance I need on the
journal.

Just wondering if this is a problem worth addressing.

any thoughts?

Frank