[Healeys] broken spoke

Alan Seigrist healey.nut at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 22:49:42 MDT 2011

Rich -

If you can get the threaded part out of the nipple, you can just put a new
spoke through the hub, very easy.  if you can't get the threaded part out of
the nipple, then you don't need to remove the tire completely, just break
the bead and push the edge down.  A tyre shop can do that for you without
moving the tire out of place and with the tire bead down, you can pull the
old nipple out and replace it with a new one.

That being said, if you have 60 or 72 spokes, you can run with a broken
spoke without much issue.  Once you go over two or three, then that's when
you really need to take it more seriously.  You can simply remove the broken
spoke through the hub (to stop it from clattering) and put the wheel back
on.

I drove on my MWS 72 spokers at one point with 15 broken spokes on one
wheel.  Of course I was in college and didn't have much money so I let it
get a bit out of hand, but one broken spoke is not really a big deal.

Alan