[Healeys] Weber vs SU's on a 3 carb

Simon Lachlan simon.lachlan at homecall.co.uk
Mon Aug 22 05:01:44 MDT 2011

I've three HD6s in my MkII BT7. Dennis Welch (jnr) said at the time that
this was a good upgrade and that I'd get more power and economy with head
ported by them, their fast road cam, the exhaust manifolds smoothed out (a
lot) by me. The MkII comes with three inlet manifolds which can be ground
out and polished up to HD6 size but no more, so I was told. The inlet
manifolds were easy to do. But had to take it slow and keep
measuring....can't afford to take too much out.
Don't all shout at once about the power and economy comment. It was DW's
take on the deal, not mine originally. Do I agree, after the work? Yes, I
do. Caveat: the original HS4s weren't bad but I did rebuild the HD6s and
thus they were/are in v.good/as new condition.

Have since put on big bore 6 branch exhaust. ie it's able to get the gases
out more efficiently as well as getting them in more efficiently. And, yes,
that helps too.

Am told that HD6s are much easier to work with than HS6s, the adjustments
being primarily from above. Certainly, I found the HS4s harder to
adjust/work on. Have no knowledge at all of Webers. Not cheap, I gather.

Simon