[Healeys] Looking for some valuation, sprite project for sale

Miq Millman miq at bigllama.com
Sat Aug 20 13:07:35 MDT 2011

   It's been a long time since I've posted anything to the Healey list, but
I've been a member for over 20 years, and still read the digest almost
daily.  As I recall back, I don't think I actually posted my discussions
about Frankensprite on the Healey list, likely it was Britcars or Spridgets

I've had this project car for a long time, moved it four times,
occaisionally collected parts for it, made plans, changed plans, and
lately--as I've been tackling projects on my Bugeye (5-speed, redoing
suspension, rebelling rear hubs, brakes), decided that I don't have a want
or need for what Frankensprite might become.  Actually, I think I have
finally attained that balance point of wisdom, (in)sanity, introspective,
and imagination that driving a car that weighs 1100 pounds, and has 180 hp**
with the telepathically twitchy steering of a Sprite is a bad thing.

**At one point, I had visions of building a rotary powered sprite, and had
collected all the Mazda fiddly bits--rear axle, transmission, engine, etc
but I've sold off most of those parts to local racers to keep their now
venerable RX-2,3 or 7 going.

As a fall back plan, at one point I picked up, and salvaged a '65 Midget and
pulled a lot of bits off it before trading it away.  The idea there was if
sanity ever bit back hard, or the rotary effort was too steep a slope I
could back out easy and go a more sedate BMC powered effort.  Thus, I have
the complete 1098 setup (with supposedly under 3000 miles on a rebuild from
the previous owner--who knows when that was, easily a dozen years that I've
owned the power train).

Included are everything in the photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66387302@N05/sets/

which is most of the spare bits and pieces I've collected over the past 24
years, including two running engines, some suspension and braking options (I
was going to put GT6 front brakes and RX7 GSL-SE rear brakes (along with a
narrowed RX7 rear axle w/ LSD)).  Actually, the RX7 rear end is available
but it no longer has the LSD.

The bonnet was bought from The Healey Store back in 1990, but looks to be
the same one sold currently by the Winner's Circle.  The rear "spats" style
flares were custom made, and intended to allow for running with slicks with
the wheel wells covered.  As evidenced by the photos, no sheet metal was cut
on the exterior of the car.  I also had some spare front fender bits that
could be used to extend the footwells--the idea here was when you put the
front hinge on the bonnet, you wouldn't whack the back of your head on the
rear side of the wheel well standing up over the engine.  Something I've
experienced but never actually seen a solution for in practice.

I have the clean California title, for the 1962 Mk 2 Sprite, and a small
pile of receipts and paperwork.

I'm open to suggestions for the value of this garage marvel.  I know the
cage alone was over $800, the fiberglass bonnet was $500 when I bought it in
1990, etc.  In all I probably have over $3500 invested in this, excluding
all the RX7 stuff.

Frankensprite is currently located in the south-western suburbs of Portland
Oregon, I have to move it again within the month, and I will do so if
needed, but hopefully I can find a new home/owner for this once and future
project.
 --
__
Miq Millman   miq at bigllama.com