[Healeys] How to properly engage and disangage overdrive

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Fri Aug 19 18:12:43 MDT 2011

Everyone has their own way.  Here's mine:

- when accelerating/cruising, just throw the switch (on); you'll either get more speed or less RPMs depending on throttle
- when decelerating, coast or use brakes, when you get below 2K RPM, push the clutch pedal in a couple inches, tap the
throttle, throw the switch off then release the clutch.  Done right, there is absolutely no shock to the drivetrain
- if you're stuck behind a slow Ferrari when in O/D at part throttle throw the switch (off), then when you go WOT you'll
get a downshift to a 'passing gear' (aka 'kickdown')

No problems so far (but I've only got 170,000 miles on my O/D).

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net