[Healeys] upgraded gaskets

John Vrugtman javrugtman at htcnet.org
Mon Aug 15 19:26:44 MDT 2011

I installed a red rubber type valve cover gasket on my 66.  I had bought
two, one of which I put on the 64 which has a AL cover, no leaks.  On
the 66 original valve cover, I stupidly didn't check it out before
driving off on a day trip.  Halfway we suddenly got an windscreen full
of oil.  Back at my shop, I discovered that any warping of the cover
created a gap that the gasket would not fill.  But, it was fixable, by
setting the cover with gasket attached on a flat surface and tapping the
edge down carefully with a rubber hammer, checking with a feeler gauge
around the bottom, till there was no gap anywhere.  Now there are no leaks.

John
64/66 BJ8s