[Healeys] Apron Panel Set

Rich C richchrysler at quickclic.net
Fri Aug 12 12:31:55 MDT 2011

Rob,

Yes, the horizontal panel is there to help direct air into the radiator. It
also helps to tie in and stiffen the large area of otherwise unsupported
metal from the top of the shroud lip at the bonnet opening  all the way down
to the pair of frame mounting irons at the bottom of the shroud.

The grille needs to be removed by simply undoing the 5 nuts and special
washers from the 5 studs across the top inner lip accessed from behind. With
these 5 removed, press down slightly and pull the grille assembly forward
from the top and then up from the bottom. Don't let the 5 studs catch the
painted upper edge of the grille opening.

The horizontal panel has notches to fit over the horn mounting bolts at the
back edge of the panel, so loosen the horn mounting bolts to allow the
notched flange to sandwich between the horn base and the cross member. At
the front edge there are two countersunk Phillips head 10-32 screws that
pass from shroud lower grille opening flange, through the apron, and are
fastened there with flat washers, lock washers and nuts. In addition the two
large vertical locating pegs in the bottom of the grill pass through a pair
of locating holes in this horizontal panel.

The horizontal panel is completely above all steering arms. The stator tube
wiring cable comes out of the bottom of the steering box and loops back and
down through a rubber grommet in the back corner of the apron where the
harness continues to anchor with a P clip to the front face of the frame
front cross member and finally plugs into it's appropriate connectors.

The vertical dorsal panel mounts at the top with a single 10-32 Phillips
screw with flat washers, lock washer and nut to the upper inner cross brace
that also anchors the bonnet lip. At the bottom of the vertical dorsal
panel, the horizontal flange has two holes to fit 10-32 screws with flat
washers, lock washers and nuts.